Saturday, September 29, 2007

September 29, 2007
Arrived at MSY airport on time. As we were flying in you could see houses in various states of repair (or disrepair). You could also see vacant lots. The airport, I learned, has those letters because it was built on an old slaughter yard, hence the SY. I decided to take a cab to the guesthouse even thought it was the most expensive option. It was also the easiest and boy did my suitcase weight a lot!

On walls and fences everywhere you can see a line where the water was in 2005(after the levees broke). The 9th ward, is still decimated. I’ll go see this later. We rode by the superdome and went on the overpasses that we saw in the video in class. (The overpasses where people were for days waiting to be rescued.)

St. Charles Street, where my guesthouse is, is beautiful. The streetcar that should run up St. Charles is not supposed to be fixed until next year. We are right next to Loyola College and Tulane University. My taxi driver said he’d take me out to hear some jazz tonight, but I opted to go have dinner with one of the other teachers who was here. We ended up eating at Cooter Browns .( As period 7 suggested.) I had my first po’ boy sandwich. Well, to me, it was just a sandwich, but it was named during the depression according to “Rob” from Baton Rouge who had come to town today for the big LSU - Tulane football game. (Yes, it was played at the Superdome). LSU won, but that really didn’t surprise anyone.
LSU is Louisiana State University. ( Remember I’m in Louisiana guys! :) So trivia- where is LSU? (Yes, I know Louisiana, but what city?)
It is HOT here. Well it is for a Mainer! It is just like it was last week in Maine. MUGGY! All of the trees are droopy and covered with moss/ferns. I’ll be posting a picture of some of the exciting night life I encountered tonight out on St. Charles street. Check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ms. Farnham! What an adventure and great learning opportunity for you and your students in New Orleans. I really enjoyed the pictures you included on your blog. I will be looking forward to reading and learning more.

- Mrs. Larrabee
Teacher
Winslow Junior High School