Friday, October 5, 2007

Day 7 is it?

Yesterday I started by skyping a sixth grade class in Florida. Those kids knew their stuff! Great questions!

We had some downpours yesterday. The roads flood very easily here, as the ground is already so saturated.

I spent yesterday dissecting caterpillars. The scientist I worked for was looking to see how the caterpillars immune system internally fought off the parasitoid eggs. She injected red glass beads into a caterpillar, waited 24 hours and then put them to sleep. Under a GORGEOUS dissection microscope, they were opened up and the beads were extracted ( yes, manually. Then the beads are photographed by a computer hooked into the microscope. A machine will then determine to what extent the eggs were "attacked". Very cool, BUT HARD. I think the biggest thing I have learned down here is that science is HARD work. Experiments require HUGE amounts of data and collecting that data is tedious, precise, repetitive work that can take years and years.

Working under the microscope with little beads takes a steady hand, patience and practice... none of the things I have! I got a lot better but still it was frustrating. Frustrations turn into successes though and I did very good work. I didn't do many caterpillars, but the ones I did do were my BEST WORK.

Last night we ate at a Turkish restaurant. The food down here is amazing. We went out to hear some gypsy jazz music...interesting.

Today is our last day, and we will be doing out last "broadcasting" from 11-12. I plan on touring a bit more this afternoon... trying to find some gator to bring home to my kids. I'm staying in a hotel downtown tonight for a change.

See you in Maine!

No comments: