Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Crawlers

Have you read Gregor the Overlander? I'm going searching for crawlers! OK, not in the bowels of New York City ... thankfully! You should start searching too. Go outside and look for caterpillars. How? Well, I know when my daughter has been in the kitchen because I see a half-eaten piece of bread here, some apple peelings there. Go outside and look for leaves with holes in them. Look under the leaves. At this point make a note of what colors and sizes of caterpillars you find. Can you identify them? I like a nice field guide but you could also check on websites such as enature.com. In Maine, I want you to also look at Japanese beetles. Collect a few. More on this later... The plot thickens...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Great photo of a Japanese beetle. There are lots of Japanese beetles in my garden, but I have never noticed the white things?

Are those parasitoids? Where did you find the beetle?

Ms. Farnham said...

I found a lot of J.B. in my garden this year with these parasite ( the Winsome Fly) on them. I found more in August than September. This great photo, alas, is not of my taking, but it was taken in Maine.